Reddit is one of the most favorite social media websites for a lot of people and has had a huge influence on the meme culture over the years. A lot of complaints were coming in from users that were getting the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” error on their mobile app or even desktops while trying to access certain sub reddits.
In this article, we have delved deep into the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” error and have allocated some fixes and solutions to it that have helped most users to get rid of this issue completely. Therefore, you can follow the steps below and get rid of this annoying error once and for all.
Why do you see the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” message?
After investigating this issue for a while, we came to the conclusion that the following must be the primary reasons due to which the error message is triggered in the first place.
- Outdated Application: It is possible in some cases that the Reddit application has been outdated on your smartphone and due to this, you are getting the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” message because it is unable to effectively communicate with its servers.
- Server Issue: If the Reddit servers are currently down or have been put for maintenance, you will run into the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” issue while trying to access it. Therefore, we recommend that you check some down checkers to verify if the servers are down for everybody and then check to see if you are able to fix this when they come back up.
- Corrupted Cache: Sometimes, the cache being stored by the Reddit application on your mobile device can end up triggering the We had some trouble getting to Reddit message for you. Therefore, we recommend that you clear out this corrupted cache which will then be replaced automatically.
- VPN: If you are using a VPN connection, we recommend that you try to temporarily disable it because due to and traffic, certain VPN IPs might be blacklisted by the server.
- Two-Factor Authentication: Some people complained that this issue came up after they had enabled two-factor authentication on their accounts. Therefore, if you are getting the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” message, we recommend that you try and disable two-factor authentication and check to see if the error goes away.
Now that we have taken you through almost all the primary reasons behind the “We had some trouble getting to Reddit” issue, we can finally start moving on towards the implementation of the fixes.
Before You Start:
Perform a simple re-login to the application when you come across this error and it can help you resolve the error quickly without much effort. To log out of Reddit:
- Press the “User” icon at the top right of your display and from the drop-down menu choose to select “Log Out”.
- Once logged out, “Log In” back to the application using your login credentials as you would normally and check if it works fine now.
If this simple fix wasn’t helpful in your case then proceed forward to try the below-listed fixes in detail.
Fixing we had some trouble getting to Reddit 2021 issue:
Solution 1: Update Your Application
Having an older version of an application on your smartphone is a bad idea and you should always make sure that you have the latest version of all the applications installed on your device. To update your app on Android proceed with these steps:
- On your home screen tap on the “PlayStore” icon and here search for the “Reddit” app using the search bar at the top.
- Open the “Reddit Application” from the list of search results and then tap on the “Update” button beside the Open button.
- The PlayStore will now start to download the latest available updates for your application.
To Update the same app on iOS follow these steps:
- Open the “App Store” icon on your home screen and then tap on your “Profile” icon at the top right corner of the screen.
- Next scroll down to locate the “Reddit” app and tap on the “Update” option in front of the Reddit application to download and install the latest updates on your device.
Solution 2: Check the Reddit Server Status
Sometimes the website server can go down due to heavy traffic or it may also be down for maintenance which in turn will give rise to this error. So you can check the live server status using this link.
Solution 3: Clear the App Data/Cache
Clearing the app data/cache can help remove several temporary bugs and errors. To clear the app data/cache on android you need to follow these steps:
- Tap on the “Settings” icon on your home screen and use the search bar at the top to look for the “Apps” menu.
- Inside the Apps window scroll down through the list of installed applications and locate the “Reddit” app.
- Afterward, click to open it and then tap on the “Clear App Data” button.
- Once the app data is cleared, tap on the “Clear App Cache” button as well and finally proceed to check if the error got resolved now.
Solution 4: Select A Different Location
Quite a bunch of users was able to solve the error by changing their posts recommendation from global to a selective country. To do so carry on with these steps:
- Open your Reddit application and click on “Global” below the “Popular” option.
- Then select the “Others” option and afterward choose a new different random location.
- Refresh your Reddit feed and now check for the error.
Note: You can try moving back to Global if you think the issue has resolved.
Solution 5: Download Boost For Reddit Application
You have an alternative option where you can try downloading the Boost for Reddit application as many users prefer to use the Boost for Reddit app instead of the official Reddit application. Boost for Reddit has a much friendly user interface, it’s a lot faster than the official Reddit app, and it also provides a lot of other functionalities better than the conventional one. You can download the Boost for Reddit app from your App Store/Play Store on Android and iOS respectively.
Solution 6: Disable Two-Factor Authentication
Disabling the two-factor authentication on your Reddit account can sometimes also help to get through the error successfully. Follow the steps below to disable two-factor authentication on your Reddit account:
- Click on the “Username” icon at the top right of your display and from the drop-down menu select “User Settings”.
- In the User Settings menu choose the “Privacy” and “Security” tab.
- Next, under the “Advanced Security” menu you will see the “Two-Factor Authentication Control” settings.
- Use the toggle button in front of it to turn it “OFF”.
- Finally, enter your password to confirm your selection and then continue on to check if it fixed we had some trouble getting to Reddit app error for you.
Solution 7: Turn Off VPN
If you use a VPN to surf Reddit, the best idea would be to turn it off. This is because VPN changes your geo-location which in turn can interfere with the location settings on your Reddit application giving rise to this particular error.
Solution 8: Reinstall the Application
- Tap and hold the “Reddit” app icon on your home screen.
- When the new menu appears choose to select “Uninstall” at the top for Android or you can tap on the “X” sign on the app icon for iOS.
- Once Uninstalled, head over to your “App Store/Play Store” on your iOS or Android respectively.
- In here use the search bar at the top to search for the “Reddit” application and click to “Download” the latest version.
- Once downloaded now proceed to check if you encounter we had some trouble getting to Reddit comments error or not.
Solution 9: Try Third-Party Reddit Applications
If the official Reddit app is failing for you, you can find a lot of other alternative Reddit applications available on the Play Store. In this regard, you can download applications like “Slide” or “Joey”, as they provide a much faster and less faulty version as compared to the official Reddit application, and then check if it becomes an easy fix for you.
Follow the above-indexed solutions in sequence to get rid of the error but for any further questions or queries feel free to Contact Us here.