Reddit Error 500 Internal Server Error [Fixed Entirely]
Reddit is one of the most popular social media platforms and it harbors a great number of users that like to browse the site regularly. However, we have been recently getting some complaints from users that are getting the Reddit Error 500 internet server error while trying to make a connection.
What Causes the Reddit Error 500?
After going through some common practices by users that have fixed this issue for themselves, we concluded that the following are the most common reasons behind the occurrence of this issue.
- Server Outage: It is possible that you might be experiencing a server outage in your area due to which this particular error is being shown while trying to access Reddit. If the Reddit Error 500 is being caused due to a server outage, there isn’t much you can do except for waiting for it to be fixed.
- Cookies/Cache/Extensions: In certain situations, the browser’s corrupted cache/cookies or incompatible extensions might be the culprit behind the error 500 on Reddit. It is best to diagnose in Incognito mode and check if these are the potential reasons behind the occurrence of this particular issue.
- Account Ban: In some cases, a moderator or the server might’ve banned your account from being able to connect to Reddit due to which you are getting the Reddit error 500 while trying to establish a connection with the Reddit servers.
Now that you are familiar with the primary reasons behind the occurrence of this particular issue, we can move on towards implementing the fixes.
Fixing the reddit 500 error on PC:
Solution 1: Check server status
If you have just encountered reddit error 500 while carrying some task out on Reddit, then first of all check if the problem is at your side or at the server-side. If the Reddit’s servers are down or under a short maintenance break, then resolving this error is beyond your control. So, to make sure whether the Reddit servers are down or not, visit Reddit’s server status website and see check the color of your current date. If it is “Green”, it means that there is no issue with the servers but if it is “Yellow”, then the only solution for you is to patiently wait for the servers to start working properly.
Solution 2: Check account status
Many users have reported that they encountered this error message because their account was banned for posting or commenting on certain threads. there are three major types of bans in Reddit that are indexed below:
In the Subreddit ban, the Moderator of a particular subreddit can ban you from the post either for a limited period of time or permanently. If you are banned from the subreddit, you will receive a private message stating the reason for your ban and for how long you will be banned from the subreddit.
Subreddit AutoModerator Ban:
In the Subreddit AutoModerate ban, you can get banned by the bots that are placed by the moderators to improve the management of their threads. In this case, if you post a thread or comment on one, it will automatically be removed by the bots without you knowing about it.
Shadowban is a site-wide ban in which the backend algorithm of Reddit automatically bans you if you are suspected of performing suspecious operations on Reddit. In this ban, you will be able to able to view the content you posted on the website but it will not be visible for the other users.
To verify that your account has been banned, open the following link in your browser.
Note: Replace XXXX by your Reddit username
If you see a “Page not found” message, then it means that you are banned and if you are not banned from Reddit, proceed to the next potential fix to this error explained in this article below.
Solution 3: Clear browsing history
- Hit “Ctrl+H” on your keyboard to open Browser’s history and select “Clear Browsing Data” from the left pane.
- Now check the box parallel to “Browsing History” and set the Time Range to “All Time”.
- Now click on the “Clear data” button and see if the reddit 500 error persists.
Solution 4: Launch in incognito mode
- Click on the three-dots icon on the top-right of the screen and select “New Incognito Window”.
- Now go to the Reddit website and check whether the error is rectified.
If you are still unable to fix this issue, you can contact us for any further assistance.