Easily Fix Broken Registry Items on Windows
The Registry on your computer contains the configuration and setting keys for different services and items on your computer. However, some people have been complaining about Broken Registry Items that appear in their Windows Registry. Therefore, in this article, we have compiled all of the different methods that you can utilize to fix the Broken Registry Items.
Why do Broken Registry Items Appear in the First Place?
After encountering Broken Registry items on some of our computers, we came to the conclusion that the following are the most important reasons due to which it occurs.
- Corrupted Programs: It is possible that some of the programs on your computer might have been corrupted due to which the Broken Registry items are being created. Therefore, we suggest that you try and remove the corrupted programs by following the solutions below.
- Corrupted System Files: Certain system files on your computer might have also gotten corrupted due to which the Broken Registry Items can also get created. Therefore, we suggest that you try to fix these system files by following certain methods that we have listed below.
Now that you have gone through the reasons due to which the error occurred, it is time that we move on towards removing the broken registry items from Windows.
How to rectify broken registry items windows 10 issue:
Fix 1: Disk cleanup
- Press “Windows + S” keys simultaneously to open the start menu search box. In the search box type “Disk Cleanup” and double click on the application when it appears.
- A pop up will appear saying “Select the drive you want to clean up”, here choose the drive on which Windows is installed.
Note: the folder is usually C:\.
- Select the “Clean Up System Files” option and enter the drive again.
- Press “OK” and wait for the cleanup to complete.
Fix 2: Scan and Restore Potential Issues
- Press “Windows+ X” keys simultaneously on your keyboard and select “Windows Powershell(Admin)”. A warning window will appear at front of you asking permission to run the app as an administrator hence, press “Enter” and proceed.
- In the cmd window type the following command:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- Press “Enter” and wait for the command to execute.
Fix 3: Restore Your Windows
- Press “Windows + I” keys simultaneously to open the “Settings” menu. In the settings window, proceed to “Update & Security ->Recovery”.
- Double click on the “Get started” button and select the “Keep my files option”.
- Now just follow the on-screen instructions and wait for the process to end and this will refresh the registry and also fix broken registry items windows 10 issue.
Fix 4: Replace Corrupt System Files
- Press “Windows + X” keys simultaneously on the keyboard and select “Windows Powershell(Admin)” option. A warning window will appear asking permission to run the app as administrator, Press “Enter” to proceed.
- In the cmd window type the following command and press “Enter”:
- This command will scan all the system files and replace faulty files and hopefully broken registry items issue would be rectified.
Fix 5: Troubleshoot with Automatic Repair feature
- Press “Windows + I” keys simultaneously to open the “Settings” menu. In the settings window, go to “Update & Security -> Recovery”.
- On the right pane under the Recovery option you will see the “Advanced Startup” section, select the “Restart now” option.
- On restart a new window will appear with a blue background presenting a couple of options.
- Choose “Troubleshoot” and then select “Advanced Options ->Automatic Repair/Startup Repair”.
- Once in the automatic repair mode enter the recovery key and select “Continue”.
- Now the Automatic Repair/Startup Repair feature will start diagnosing problems in your computer and hopefully will fix the broken registry issue.
Fix 6: Scan For Affected Programs
- Click the “Start” button or press the Windows key, type “Control Panel” into the search box in the Start menu, and press “Enter”.
- Search for the “Recovery” option in the “Control Panel” window.
- Select “Open System Restore” right below “Advanced recovery tools”. Select “Next” from the “Restore System Files And Settings” section.
- Now you can select a restore point for your files and drivers, then select “Scan for affected programs” to make sure no important file or driver is suspected for deletion. If you’re ok with the list select “Close”
- Again select “Next” to continue.
- At last check, all the settings about your chosen restore point carefully and then click “Finish”.
- After the restore finishes, check to see if the Broken Registry Items have been removed from the registry.
Fix 7: Restore your computer (Alternative Method)
- Press “Windows + I” keys simultaneously to open the “Settings” menu and click on the “Update & Security” section from the settings window.
- Select “Recovery” from the left pane. On the right pane, you will see the “Reset this PC” option and from there select “Get started”.
- A pop up will appear asking you to choose between “Keep my files” (this will remove installed apps settings but save the personal files) or Remove everything (this will remove all personal files including apps and settings).
- Choose the right option by clicking on it once.
- If you have selected the Remove my files option, you will further be presented with two more options, Just remove my files (only delete all the files) or Remove my files and clean the drive (hard disk formatted plus files deleted).
- Next, if you see a warning message, just click “Next” to proceed.
- Lastly on the new window select “Reset” to start the resetting process.
Fix 8: Restore the Windows Registry
This fix is only relevant for users who have already backed up their windows registry before. If you have backed up your windows registry before then there will be a “.reg” extension file in your computer representing the windows backed up registry. For restoring, double click on this file. A warning window will appear asking if you want to restore the Window registry, select “Yes” to proceed.
Hopefully, after following the above fixes you would’ve been able to get rid of broken registry items windows 10 issue on your computer but if you’re still unable to get rid of this issue feel free to Contact Us.