Roku is one of the best online content streaming solutions as it provides a lot of additional functionality to the Smart TV. As we know any electronic device has both merits and demerits and as far as Roku is concerned, it has many advantages like the simple interface and it is flexible too but many Roku users often complain about the device getting overheated. If the Roku device isn’t set up properly, it might cause the release of excessive heat from the device. You can try the workarounds mentioned in this article to get rid of the Roku Overheating issue.
What Causes the Roku Device to get Overheated?
There can be a lot of factors that can trigger Roku to get overheated and some of the most common ones are mentioned below.
- The Roku device might have been plugged in for a long period of time and this can sometimes cause overheating issues due to excessive usage.
- The device might be placed in a closed or confined place like a setup box that has no passage for airflow and that can cause excessive heating of the device.
- The device might be placed near any other electronic device like a TV or a computer and that can cause it to overheat.
Identify if your Roku Device is getting Overheated:
You can go through the following indicators to determine if your Roku Device is getting overheated:
- The Roku device always has a white light ON but if it is showing a solid red light, it indicates that the device is being overheated.
- A message also appears on the screen when the device gets overheated. If you see this message, do not ignore it but take the necessary measures.
- When you touch the Roku device and it is hotter than usual, it can be an indication of overheating.
If you find yourself entangled in this issue, the first thing to do is to follow the steps stated below.
- Power off the device by unplugging the switch from the socket.
- Wait for 5 mins or more and let the device cool down.
- Plug the switch back into the socket and power on the device, check if the Red light still appears or not.
- If the red light turns on, repeat the process.
- Leaving the device powered off for some time can also eliminate overheating.
What Should I Do When Roku Overheats?
Solution 1: Place The Device At A Cooler Location
The Roku device might be placed under direct sunlight or placed in a closed or confined place that restricts the airflow. Therefore, it is best to relocate the device to a cooler place and keep it away from any electronic device that might be radiating heat.
Solution 2: Use an HDMI Extender
The Roku device comes with an HDMI extender as placing the device near other electronics can cause it to overheat which can damage the device. The main purpose of this extender is that it allows the device to be placed a little further from the television or any other heat radiating device. So it is advised to use the HDMI extender and put the Roku at an acceptable place.
Note: If the device is still overheating and you are already using the HDMI extender, try to remove any extenders from the TV and also plug the device directly into it. This can sometimes prevent the overheating due to cable fault.
Solution 3: Avoid Excessive Usage
Using Roku continuously for a long period of time can result in overheating and this has very adverse effects on the device. It is advised to use the device for a decent period of time and then let it cool down for a while.
Solution 4: Connect to the Wall Outlet
In some cases, it has been observed that by connecting to the wall outlet directly, the users were able to fix their overheating issue so it is recommended for you to give that a go instead of using the TV’s USB port for power.
Solution 5: Remove Cover
The Roku Device is poorly designed in terms of heat dissipation and it is the major design flaw with their devices. However, you can get around of this by removing its cover and letting it sit without the plastic cover. Users reported that this seemed to get their devices out of the danger zone and you can also try placing it on a fan or cooler of some sort.
Hopefully, by now, you have been able to get rid of this issue but if you need any further help and information click here.