Hulu is an application where people can stream movies, TV Shows, and a lot of other content from their PC, Roku Device, or even their android mobiles. However, we have recently seen the Hulu Error Code 504 with a lot of our users and have set out to fix it in this article. Using these methods, you are also able to fix the Hulu Error Code 3 and Hulu Error Code 503 errors that are also mainly triggered due to the same reasons.
Before you move on towards checking out and deploying the solutions, it is best that you are also made familiar with the reasons due to which you are seeing the Hulu Error Code 504 on your screen.
What Causes the Hulu Error Code 504?
Before we move on towards implementing the solutions, we think it is best that we check to see what are the factors due to which it is being triggered.
- Corrupted Cache: For most users that were getting the Hulu Error Code 504 on their screens, the main reason was the corrupted cache. Cache can often be corrupted if it has been left over for a long time. Therefore, clearing the cache seems like a good way to start troubleshooting this issue.
- DNS Configuration Issue: If you have improperly configured your DNS servers, you might not be able to properly access the internet and even if you are able to do that, you might face issues streaming from Hulu. Therefore, it is recommended that you try and switch your DNS servers and check to see if by doing so, you are able to fix the Hulu Error Code 504.
- Location Ban: Sometimes streaming applications such as Hulu block people from a certain area from accessing their services. Due to this, you might be unable to stream using Hulu and this can easily be fixed by using a VPN to mask your location and imitate another one.
- Firewall Block: It is possible that the Firewall installed on your computer might be blocking you from accessing the Hulu Streaming services and due to this, you are getting the Hulu Error Code 504 on your screen. You can try and whitelist this app in your Firewall and confirm that your Firewall isn’t blocking it.
- Outdated Application: If you haven’t updated the Hulu app for a while, it is possible that you might be unable to stream from it because often certain updates on the service’s end require the users’ app to be updated to the latest version and if it isn’t, you might get the Hulu Error Code 504.
Now that you have been made familiar with most of the reasons behind this issue, we can finally move on towards deploying solutions and fixes.
Before You Start:
- One of the most common ways to solve this issue is by refreshing your browser.
- For this purpose, look for “–>” forward arrow button at the top left corner of your browser.
- Right next to this button is a refresh key so click on this key to refresh the page.
- Even if the issue is not resolved after refreshing, then try restarting your device.
- Open your browser and move the cursor to the search bar and type in any URL and hit “Enter”.
- If no results pop up or you get results after a while then probably your connection is slow.
- Now move your device closer to the modem or router to improve the connection strength and keep one thing in mind that the minimum internet speed for viewing smooth or standard video quality is 3.0 Mbps, if your speed is lower than that, you will get the Hulu Error Code 504 Android.
Fixing the Hulu error code 504:
Method 1: Power Cycle your Router
- For this purpose, you must “Power OFF” your modem/router and you can simply do this by unplugging the device from the socket.
- Wait for approximately 3-4 minutes and now turn “ON” your modem/router again and reconnect your devices.
- Now, as the router is power cycled, you can reconnect your PC or mobile to it and launch Hulu application and check to see if the Hulu Error Code 504 Roku has been fixed..
Method 2: Clearing Cache
- Open your chrome browser and look for 3 dots icon at the top right of the screen.
- Now click on “More tools” option and then select “Clear browsing data”.
Note: This can also be done simply by pressing “Ctrl + Shift + Del” keys simultaneously on your keyboard.
- Now checkmark the “Cookies” and “Cache” option and after that, click on the “Clear Data” button.
- In the end, you should restart your browser and check whether the hulu error code 504 is resolved.
- Navigate to the main screen and click on the “Settings” icon.
- From here, click on the “Apps” option and then select “Hulu”.
- Click on “Storage” and then select the “Clear cache” and the “Clear Data” button.
- Once the app’s cache and data are cleared, run the app and check whether the Hulu Error Code 504 has been fixed.
Method 3: Change DNS server
- Press “Windows + R” keys simultaneously to open the Run prompt.
- Type in “ncpa.cpl” to open the network management window.
- In this window, right-click on the Wi-Fi connection that you are currently using, select “Properties” and afterward double-click on the “Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4)” option.
- After opening the properties section, check the “Use following DNS server address” option.
- Finally, enter these DNS addresses respectively.
Preferred DNS: 18.104.22.168
Alternate DNS: 22.214.171.124
- Click on “Apply” to propagate these changes and after that select “OK” to close this window.
Method 4: Using VPN
It is possible that Hulu has been blocked in your area or your country and all users who are trying to connect have been blocked from that area. Therefore, you will have to use a VPN to access the service from that specific location. Make sure to download one from AppStore or Microsoft Store depending on the device that you are using.
Method 5: Check for internet issues
- For this purpose, you need to disconnect all the devices connected to your network.
- Once all the devices are disconnected, make sure to end all processes running in the background and restart your device.
- Now place your modem or router near your PC, try reconnecting and hopefully the error 504 would be resolved now.
Method 6: Lowering Video quality
- Open the Hulu application on your Android or desktop PC.
- Look for the settings icon and click on it. Below the video quality option, you will observe (auto, low, medium, high) options.
- Checkmark “low” or “medium” option.
- On iOS devices, video quality can’t be lowered because it is set to automatically detect the internet speed and play the video to the best quality accordingly.
Method 7: Removing and Re-Adding Gmail Account
Make sure to Uninstall the Hulu application before following this method. After uninstalling the application follow the steps indexed beneath to get rid of hulu error code 504 android:
- Open “Settings” on your mobile devices and navigate to “Accounts” and then select “Google” from there.
- Make sure to select the account that you are currently using and remove it from your device.
- After removing that account search for “Playstore” on your mobile.
- Proceed to the “Storage” option and select the “Clear Data and then Clear Cache” buttons one-by-one.
- After clearing cache and data go back to the “Settings -> Accounts ->Add account”.
- Type in your Gmail address and select “OK” button.
- Restart your device, accept all google terms and set up Google settings. Afterward, open PlayStore and type “Hulu” in the search bar.
- Select “Install” and wait for it to finish downloading.
- Once it is installed, run the Hulu application and enter your login credentials.
- After logging in, check if you are able to eradicate the Hulu Error Code 504 from your device.
Method 8: Tweak firewall settings
- Press “Windows + R” keys simultaneously on your keyboard to open the Run prompt.
- Type in “Control Firewall.cpl” and press “Enter”.
- Click on the “Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall” option.
- Afterward choose the “Change Settings” option and then click on the “Allow another App“.
- Click on the “Browse” option from here and point to the location of Hulu’s Installation folder.
- Click “Add” and then exit out of this window.
Method 9: Reinstalling Application
- Press “Windows + R” keys simultaneously to open the Run prompt.
- Type in “Control panel” and press “Enter” to launch it.
- Find the “Programs and Features” option in the window and afterward look for the Hulu app in the installed programs list.
- Right-click on the Hulu app and select “Uninstall”.
- When the uninstalling is finished, click on the Microsoft Store icon located on your taskbar.
- Inside the Microsoft Store, click on the search bar and type in “Hulu”.
- Click on the “Get” option and afterward on “Install” to install it on your PC.
- Once the app is installed, type in your login credentials and press “Enter” to login.
Android and iOS Users:
- For android mobiles, first of all, you need to go to “Settings -> Apps -> Hulu” and then click on the “Uninstall” button.
- For IOS devices proceed to “Settings-> General->Storage -> Hulu”.
- In the App Info, click on the Uninstall or Delete App button.
- Now download the app from your respective AppStore, enter login credentials and check whether the hulu error code 504 is resolved.
Method 10: Updating Hulu App
- Click on the Microsoft icon in the taskbar and afterward choose the three dot icon located at the top right corner of your application to select “Download and updates”.
- Now look for the Hulu application and once you have found it, choose “Update app” button.
- Once the application is updated, type in your login credentials and check whether installing the update has fixed the Hulu Error Code 504.
Android and iOS Users:
- Open the respective AppStore on your devices and search for Hulu under the search bar.
- When results come up, check if an update of the app is available.
- If an update is available, then update the app and once the application is updated, open the app to check whether the issue is resolved.
Method 11: Wait for server connectivity issue to resolve
A website can be hosted by multiple servers which requires maintenance over time. For this purpose, a website may take down its service to fix the problem. In this situation, users may face error 504. If any user encounters such a problem, then the only way to resolve this issue is to wait for the server to get fixed. Once the server is fixed, the issue will be resolved.
Method 12: Updating Hulu on Roku device
- Turn on your Roku TV.
- If you are already on the home screen, then skip this step otherwise press the home button from the remote.
- Navigate to the “Settings -> System -> System updates”.
- Now click on check now button and wait until the system checks for updates.
- If an update is available, you will see the “Update now” option. Click on it and wait for the system to download and install updates.
- Once the updates are installed, check whether you are able to fix the hulu error code 504 roku.
If you are still unable to rectify hulu error code 504 roku, then we recommend you to search for the contact number of your Internet Service Provider from the internet, be in touch with them and explain them all of the issue. Ask them for the appropriate solution to this problem and hopefully, they will address your query well.
Feel free to Contact Us if you need any further help in this regard.